Half-and-half, 1 cup
Three big eggs
two tablespoons of warmed honey (20 seconds in the microwave)
14 teaspoon of salt
8 (1/2-inch) slices of day-old or stale brioche, challah, or country loaf bread
Butter, 4 tablespoons
1) Combine the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. You can complete this the evening before.
2) Pour the custard mixture into a pie pan and put it aside until you are ready to cook.
3) Set oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
4) Dip the bread into the mixture, letting it soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then transfer it to a cooling rack set inside a sheet pan to cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
5) In a 10-inch nonstick sauté pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat.
6) Cook the bread for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, adding 2 slices at a time, until golden brown.
7) Take out of pan, set on rack, and bake for 5 minutes.
8) Continue until there are 8 slices.
9) Immediately serve with fruit, whipped cream, or maple syrup.