two mugs of whole milk
2-cups of water
kosher salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons
1 cup of coarse cornmeal
freshly ground black pepper, half a teaspoon
Unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons
4 ounces pointed Shredded cheddar
1) Over medium-high heat, combine the milk, water, and salt in a big, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2) Once the milk mixture has reached a rolling boil, whisk continuously while you add the cornmeal in little amounts.
3) Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan once all the cornmeal has been mixed.
4) To keep grits from sticking or clumping, remove the cover and whisk often, about every 3 to 4 minutes. When whisking, be careful to reach all corners of the saucepan.
5) Cook the mixture for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it becomes creamy.
6) After taking the pan off the heat, stir in the butter and pepper.
7) After the butter has melted, add the cheese gently, a bit at a time. Serve right away.