half a celery stalk
half a carrot
a few fresh thyme sprigs
a few fresh parsley sprigs
Bay leaf, one
two cups of dry beans
kosher salt, two tablespoons
Extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup
Juice of lime, 1/3 cup
minced one red onion
a handful of chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon of cumin, ground
one tablespoon of chili powder
To taste, add kosher salt and pepper.
1) Use cotton butcher’s twine to tie the celery, carrot, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf into a bundle.
2) Add the onion, beans, and bundle to a saucepan.
3) Just barely cover the beans with water.
4) Simmer for 1 to 2 hours with a lid partially on, or until beans are just soft.
5) After 30 minutes, add the salt to the beans.
6) Regularly check on the beans and, if necessary, add water to cover them.
7) When the beans are almost done, drain them and take the carrot bundle out.
8) While the beans are still hot, toss them with the cumin, onion, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, and chili powder.
9) Completely chill before seasoning with salt and pepper.