1 3/4 cups sugar
14 teaspoon of salt
cream of tartar, 1 1/2 tablespoons
12 egg whites (the more recent of
the room temperature
30 ml of warm water
1 tsp. orange flavoring
(or a sample of your
1 cup sifted cake flour
1) Set the oven to 350 F.
2) Pulverize sugar in a food processor until it is ultrafine.
3) Combine the cream of tartar, salt, and half of the sugar in a sifter.
Set the rest aside.
4) With a balloon whisk, thoroughly mix the egg whites,
Orange flavoring with water.
5) Use a hand mixer after the first two minutes.
6) Slowly sift the saved sugar while continuing to beat.
7) When the foam has reached medium peaks, sprinkle in just enough flour to lightly dust the top.
8) Gently fold in with a spatula. Continue mixing until all of the flour has been added.
9) Gently pour the mixture into a two-part, 10-inch tube pan that has not been oiled.
10) Bake for 35 minutes before using a wooden skewer to determine when the food is done.
(The skewer should emerge dry when placed halfway between the inner and outer wall.)
11) Let cool for at least an hour upside-down on a cooling rack before removing from pan.